In the United States of America, if you own commercial vehicles or operate a carrier moving business, then it is mandatory on your end to get registered for the US DOT number. It is the basic compliance procedure of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA). In almost every state, it is required to get the DOT number. However, there are a few States, including Arizona, Hawaii, New Jersey, Florida, Wyoming, Nevada, Oregon, Maryland, and Vermont that don’t require a DOT number for transportation of goods from one place to another.
Contrarily, the Texas Department of Public Safety requires commercial vehicle owners, brokers, freight forwarders, and carrier moving companies to get the TxDOT number. For that, they will have to fill out the Texas DOT Form and get registered with the Texas Department of Transportation. Remember that if you are running a carrier moving or transportation business in Texas, you are primarily required to get a USDOT number and then apply for a Texas DOT number.
What’s the Purpose of Texas Dot Number?
The ultimate goal of the Texas Department of Public Safety is to ensure safe transportation of passengers & cargo by seeking support from FMCSR. And to achieve that goal, every commercial vehicle owner is required to get a TXDOT number so that they can travel safely on the nation’s highways.
Commercial vehicle enforcement is advantageous in terms of;
- Minimizing the chances of commercial vehicle collisions on the road.
- Minimizing fatalities, physical injuries, property damages related to cargo vehicles.
- Minimizing incidents pertaining to the transportation of hazardous materials.
Basic Requirements for TXDOT
For commercial vehicles that are involved in intrastate travel activities & move through Texas need to have a valid Texas Dot number. Normally, the number is issued by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles.
The Prerequisites for Getting TXDOT:
- USDOT number
- Commercial vehicle can carry > 26,000 pounds
- Vehicle is used for transportation of hazardous or high-risk materials
- Vehicle is designed for > 15 passengers
- Farm vehicles that have > 48,000 lbs. weight limit
Insurance Requirements for TXDOT Vehicles
In order to get your Texas Dot number, you are also required to get suitable insurance plans for your commercial motor vehicles. Read the followings to understand the basic insurance requirements:
- The minimum insurance requirement stands at $5,000,000 for vehicles that are going to be used for the transportation of hazardous materials.
- The minimum insurance requirement stands at $1,000,000 for vehicles that are going to be used for transportation of petroleum and oil materials.
- The minimum insurance requirement stands at $750,000 for foreign carrier vehicles.
- The minimum insurance requirement stands at $500,000 for commercial school bus vehicles.
- The minimum insurance requirement stands at $500,000 for buses that can incorporate 26 passengers at a single point in time.
- The minimum insurance requirement stands at $500,000 for buses that are designed to serve 15-26 passengers.
- The minimum insurance requirement stands at $300,000 for vehicles that are being used for moving household items from one place to another.
- The minimum insurance requirement stands at $500,000 for private MVs and for-hire commercial trucks exceeding the weight limit of 26,000
Texas DOT Form 1899
Normally, TXDOT Form 1899 is used by the carrier moving companies to get the TXDOT number for their commercial vehicles/fleet. It is best to fill out the form properly by getting support from an organization that can help your carrier moving business with the entire registration process. The agency experts understand 1899 forms on better grounds as they fill out forms for hundreds of their clients daily. They will help you ensure that your commercial trucking company can operate intrastate without any restrictions. As the firm works with TxDMV (Texas Department of Motor Vehicles), you can expect to get your commercial motor vehicles registered within no time.
In case, you are wondering where to find TXDOT Form 1899? Then, don’t worry, you can visit the official website of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. After that type “Form 1899” in the search bar. If you find it difficult to track, then you are advised to check the section “Instructions for Texas Intrastate Operating Authority Application.”
In general, you have two options to fill out the TXDOT Form 1899. Either you can directly fill out the form online & submit it to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles or you can go the traditional way—take a printout of the form, fill it, and mail it to the relevant TXDMV department.