Are you the type that, when going to sleep, simply goes to sleep, or do you spend a little more time relaxing before?
Do you go to your bedroom thinking “I can’t wait to read the end of that story!”, “God, I want to see what’s next in this episode!”?
To buy or not to buy a pillow for reading in bed!
Even though you are completely happy with your current pillow, you do feel it doesn’t help you with your reading in bed. That’s because that pillow was made for sleeping only, not for reading.
Thank GOD that some manufacturers took in consideration your interest in books or watching TV. They’ve come a long way, and they’ve succeeded to come up with great products, with pillows that will make a huge difference to your neck and shoulders, after a good session of reading in bed.
Here’s our top 10. It’s your call, after that!
It may come as a surprise to you, but the market actually offers you all kinds of options when it comes to a good pillow for reading in bed. Some have fluffy, soft covers, some come in polyester cases, others are 100% cotton made. All of them will give you, though, the best support when it comes to reading in bed (or watching TV, or working on your laptop for that matter). Your neck, shoulders, and back will thank you for this pillow. Not only your brain 🙂
- Top 15 Pillows for Reading in Bed
- Frequently Asked Questions on Reading Pillows
- Q: Why would anyone use a reading pillow?
- Q: Does the material matter for a reading pillow?
- Q: Should you get a reading pillow with memory foam?
- Q: Is the shredded memory foam better?
- Q: Why would you buy a pillow with polyester/microfiber filling?
- Q: Is faux suede the best outer material for the reading pillows?
- Q: What other materials are used for the cover?
- Q: What is traditional in terms of reading pillows?
- Q: Do wedge pillows make the right choice as reading pillows?
- Q: Which features count the most when selecting your reading pillows?
- Q: Do reading pillows come with a warranty?
Top 15 Pillows for Reading in Bed
1) Don’t let the attractive price of this Backrest Pillow – Large Firmly Stuffed Sitting Support Bed Pillow with Arms put you off. Despite of the low price, the pillow is going to be supportive for reading in bed for many customers out there.
It’s a versatile pillow that you can also use when watching TV or lounging on the floor. It’s filled with dense foam, ensuring a nice level of support for the back as you’re leaning against the pillow. It also features support arms, which increases your comfort while reading.
Carrying it around isn’t going to be a problem as the pillow comes with a carrying loop. Cleaning should also be effortless as it’s easy to spot clean the faux suede polyester fabric when needed. Additionally, the fabric feels nice against the skin too.
Let’s have a look at the positive aspects:
- It’s versatile and affordable
- It provides support and features arms
- It has carrying loop for portability
- It doesn’t lose its shape and it’s well made
For the price that you’re paying, some downsides are expected:
- Some think that the colors don’t run true
- It may be a better option for children than for adults
Stay focused on the positive aspects, as there are so many, with the pillow becoming a nice surprise for the money you’re paying.
2) Well made and prettily colored, the Shagalicious Bedrest is a nice option to consider that manages to be both functional and nice looking, bringing a bit of color in any bedroom.
The pillow is firm enough to give a good support for your neck, back and arms, but soft for comfortable use. You may use it when reading, watching TV or simply having a time out in your cozy bed.
Some even use the pillow when laying on the ground that’s how cozy the pillow is.
We notice not only the versatility of the pillow, but also its portability. The pillow features a small handle on top so you may easily carry it around, wherever you need. You may also take it outside on a picnic, on a hot summer day.
The pillow doesn’t shed and it’s pretty durable. It’s soft and cozy, looking very pretty. It has a very plush and a nice soft touch feel. It has a regular size and has enough filling to ensure good back support.
Unlike many pillows, this one stays in place as it’s slip resistant.
Don’t worry about the cleaning the pillow as you may easily spot cleaning it with a simple damp cloth when in need.
The fun colors that you may choose from may seal the deal for many.
Here are the things we like the most:
- The pillow comes in fun colors
- It’s comfortable and gives good back support
- It’s versatile and highly portable
- It’s easy to clean and looks nice
We do have some cons:
- The arm rests could be longer
- It gets warm after a while
Nevertheless, for the little money you pay, the pillow is a fun, reliable and portable pillow to get when reading in bed.
3) The grey color of the Milliard Reading Pillow with Shredded Memory Foam will fit most bedrooms décor, but the pillow is a lot more than just a pretty cover.
One thing that many will love is the adjustability of firmness, as it’s possible to insert/remove stuffing, according to you specific needs. The shredded memory foam ensures great comfort, while it’s light and molding to your best comfort.
The velour outer cover feels nice against the skin and it’s zippered for effortless removal when it’s time for cleaning. the carry handle gives the pillow portability.
The versatility of the pillow is another plus, and you can use it for reading in bed, sleeping upright, curling up on the sofa, but also for elevating legs, arms, or back.
The pillow comes vacuum-packed so you need to give it 24-48 hours for expanding completely.
Let’s take a second look at the positives:
- You can add/remove filling for best comfort
- It’s versatile and easy to carry around
- It comes with zippered and removable cover
- It looks and feels nice
The downsides aren’t something to concern about:
- It comes with a slight odor, which doesn’t go away in one day
- Some think that the outer cover is too thin
Since it’s highly versatile, dependable, and comfortable, the pillow shouldn’t miss from your bedroom décor.
4) Get your kid a nice and fun reading pillow like the Relaximals Cat Kids Reading Pillow. Not only is the pillow pretty and cat-shaped, but it’s also firm and supportive, creating a comfortable support for your kid when reading or watching TV.
The pillow is soft and very well made, having a durable feel. It has also a nice touch soft feel and kids love it as it’s plushy, yet firm. It’s made with curly, nice chenille so it’s good for support and cozy feel as well. It’s a cuddly option for kids aged from 3 to 8.
The portability of the pillow is good and its handle is sturdy for easier transport.
As for the cleaning, you may put it in a pillowcase, wash it, and let it dry in the open air.
Fun, supportive and soft, the pillow is a great solution when you want to encourage your kid to read more.
Let’s pinpoint the most important pros:
- The pillow is soft, yet firm
- It’s portable as it comes with a sturdy handle
- It’s cuddly and has an amazing plush feeling
- It looks nice and it’s durable
The list of cons isn’t long:
- Some would have liked it to be bigger
- It comes in one color combination
Despite the minor cons, the pillow is a great funny option for any toddler who reads in bed.
5) Affordable and supportive, the Keen Edge Home Reading Pillow with Arms and Pocket – Shredded Memory Foam is money well spent on any given day. It’s not flimsy and keeps its shape for a long time.
The pillow will ensure comfort and support while you’re reading in bed or watch some movies on TV. It features a high backrest and armrests on both sides, which increases your level of comfort. The pillowcase is removable for straightforward washing, and the 100% velvet fabric feels soft against the skin.
For the allergy-prone customer, it’s useful to mention that the crushed sponge filler is 100% hypoallergenic. The filling gives a soft and relaxing feel, whereas the carry handle makes it effortless to move from place to place.
Let’s have a second look at the positives:
- It’s not flimsy and maintains its shape
- The filling is 100% hypoallergenic
- It’s lightweight and supportive
- It’s comfortable and affordable
The shortcomings aren’t deal breakers for us:
- Not everyone likes the color
- Some will find it a bit short
Despite the minor problems, the pillow is a wise investment to make for your support while reading in bed.
6) Specially designed for your back and head support, the Brentwood Originals Brushed Twill Bedrest gives you nice comfort when reading in bed or watching some favorite TV shows.
The pillow is well made, firm, and supportive and holds its shape for quite some time. It has the right amount of filling to give good support when reading in bed or even using your laptop. It gives good support for your neck, back and arms all the time.
The fabric on the pillow is grippy and repels cat hair pretty good. The pillow features a long lasting polyester brushed twill fabric cover and a polyester fiber fill for nice, comfortable support.
The versatility of the pillow combines great with its portability as the pillow features a handle on top for easier lifting and moving. You may easily take it outside when enjoying some fresh air on a picnic. The armrests have a good design and size, increasing comfort.
As for the cleaning, you don’t need to worry much and you may spot clean it with a plain damp cloth from time to time.
The pillow is tall and wide and may serve you good when breastfeeding as well.
It’s well made and long lasting and comes in pretty colors. It’s very popular and comes for a fair price.
Here are the most important pros:
- The pillow is well made and comes with a grippy cover
- It’s firm, supportive and comfortable
- It’s great for reading in bed or watching TV
- It’s portable and versatile
There aren’t many things to complain though:
- It has no pockets
- A tall adult may not find it as comfortable
Nevertheless, the pillow is still a tall, wide, comfortable and easy to carry around pillow that serves you good in so many situations.
7) The Vekkia Premium Soft Reading & Bed Rest Pillow with Memory Foam stands out from the competition thanks to the scientific ratio between memory foam and ordinary foam used. The support for the back and arms is stable and comfortable, as the pillow contours to your body.
Reading books is going to be more comfortable as the pillow ensures a warm hug, reducing the risk of slouching. You can also add/remove some of the foam as there’s a zipper on the inner shell. It’s also possible to shift the foam around in specific zones for obtaining support where you need it the most. The covers have a velvety feel, and also effortless to remove for machine washing. In case of minor spots, you can also use a damp cloth for a fast cleanup of stains and spills.
One thing that you will also love is the arm pocket which stores any miscellaneous you need while in bed. The handle gives the pillow portability, completing its list of good things.
Since the pillow comes compressed, you need to give it 24 to 4 hours for expanding completely.
The positives are sealing the deal for us:
- It’s supportive for arms and back, hugging your back
- You may customize the level of firmness and shift the foam around
- The soft pillow covers are velvety and removable
- It features arm pocket and carry handle
We’re not worrying about the shortcomings at all:
- The arms could be longer
- Its firmness may be too much for some
Nevertheless, for the support, adjustability, and versatility the pillow remains a safe choice whenever you’re shopping.
8) Get some comfort in bed while reading with a good wedge pillow like the InteVision Foam Wedge Bed Pillow.
The pillow brings a lot of good things on the table, which explain its popularity and efficiency as well.
We’re beginning with the design, which is a two-layered type. The pillow is in fact made of 1” memory foam top layer and a firm base foam and this gives you good support and comfort at the same time.
The pillow is a great option for various problems: snoring, acid reflux, curved spine and even allergies. You may also use it if you are struggling with poor circulation, back/neck problems or foot/leg elevation.
But it’s not only for the various problems that you may use the pillow. Its design recommends it when you want to read in bed or watch some TV shows as well.
The pillow is also pretty breathable and that’s because of the built-in channels between the top memory foam layer and the base foam.
Be prepared to enjoy the big size of the pillow, for quite some time. The pillow is durable and comes with a machine-washable, white cover. You may also purchase separately a 100% Egyptian cotton pillowcase (400 thread count) for more comfortable feel.
The pillow gets to you in a vacuum sealed package and you need to give it a bit of time to come back entirely to its full shape.
Listing the things we like the most on the pillow:
- The wedge pillow has a two-layer design
- It’s great for various problems and for reading/watching TV in bed
- It’s well made and comes with a removable cover
- It offers great support for your back/neck
We’d like to see some minor changes:
- It’s not the best choice for a side sleeper
- You may not want to use it for sleeping at all
All in all, for its efficiency on many sleep-related problems and support for reading in bed, the wedge pillow is a sure option to consider anytime.
9) If you don’t want to get a wedge pillow to use when reading in bed, you can get a pillow especially designed for that like the LINENSPA Shredded Foam Reading Pillow.
The popularity of the pillow is quite impressive and going over the details helps, you get a good understanding of that.
The pillow ensures amazing back and head support when reading/watching TV and it’s filled with foam shreds. The filling is shapeable and you may molded exactly how you want. The pillow may need a couple of days to get into its full shape, but it’s worth the wait.
The pillow compresses well and gets back to its shape over and over again. The foam shreds aren’t just supportive, but also breathable so the pillow doesn’t get hot easily.
The cover is made from plush and long lasting velour that has a nice soft touch feel to it. It comes in a nice, neutral stone color so it’s quite subtle in any bedroom.
We also have to mention the good arm construction that is both comfortable and plump. The top carry handle increases the portability of the pillow that you may easily move around when in need.
The pillow doesn’t slide around, stays in place and is freestanding. The seams are double-stitched, making the pillow more durable.
We like the pillow as it’s big and efficient, without having a bulky feel. It has just the right weight and serves you good for quite some time.
Putting the main features under the light:
- The pillow is well made and durable
- It’s filled with shapeable foam clusters
- It’s supportive, comfortable and keeps its shape
- It’s portable and free-standing
We’re not minimizing the cons:
- Some felt a chemical smell in the beginning
- Some would like an even taller pillow
All things considered, for its support, durability and versatility, the pillow does stand out as one of the most reliable options out there.
10) Comfortable and bouncy, the Z Foam Filled Reading Pillow is a reliable option to try when in need.
The pillow brings on the table good features and comes with some drawbacks to consider.
The design of the pillow is well thought out and its back and sides are filled with shredded memory foam blend, creating a nice, soft support when reading a book in bed. The fill is 100% polyurethane foam and the pillow may need around 24 hours until it comes to its full shape.
The pillow doesn’t lose its shape in time though and it’s quite bouncy, coming back to its shape for quite some time. It’s easy for you to mold it just the way you need it as well.
The arms of the pillow have also a good built and just the right level, increasing comfort.
The cover of the pillow is made with cozy rayon from bamboo blend and has a nice, silky touch feel. The cover is also breathable and dissipates efficiently your body heat. It’s made of 75% polyester and 25% rayon from bamboo, which explains the good air circulation and nice touch feel.
The pillow is thick, plump, and supportive. The handle on top helps you move it around easy and the pillow isn’t heavy weight either.
As for the cleaning, you may spot clean it from time to time with some mild detergent.
Let’s pinpoint the main pros:
- The pillow has a good design
- It’s supportive, firm and thick
- You may molded as you need
- It has a handle on top and it’s easy to spot clean
The flaws are minimal:
- The pillow has a specific smell in the beginning
- Some feel it lumpy, but you just need to work it a bit
Our takeaways are that the pillow is a sure buy anytime and doesn’t present major issues to make you regret getting it.
11) The Cheer Collection Foam-Filled TV and Reading Pillow in White with Removable Microplush Washable Cover comes with many good things, and the minor issues don’t undermine its overall value.
The pillow is incredibly comfortable as it has a microplush fabric cover with soft touch feel against the skin. it’s filled with firm and high-quality shredded foam, so that the pillow doesn’t lose shape in time.
The design is ergonomic and the pillow matches your body shape for efficient support for neck, back, arms, and shoulders. It doesn’t allow slouching since it maintains the proper back and neck posture while relaxing. It will also help with any back pains.
The pillow is versatile and you can use it for gaming, watching TV, or reading in bed. Women breastfeeding or people recovering after surgeries can also use it.
The pillow features a top handle for increased portability. It’s lightweight and you can even take it on a trip. The zippered cover is easy to remove for machine washing.
Here’s our take on the pros:
- It’s comfortable, supportive, and versatile
- It has a soft touch feel and a removable cover
- The carry handle makes it portable
- It has the right amount of filling for proper upper and lower back and arm support
The downsides aren’t major:
- Some expected the pillow to be bigger
- One may feel it’s too firm for their needs
Regardless of the minor issues, the pillow is still a great choice to use around the house, including when reading in bed.
12) Bring some cheerful patterns in your bedroom with the Majestic Home Goods Links Reading Pillow.
Even though the pillow does stand out with its fun patterns, it’s sure a lot more than meets the eye.
The pillow is soft, yet manages to bring good support for your back, neck, and head when reading in bed. It’s well filled with Super Loft recycled polyester fiber fill and holds its shape for a good amount of time. It doesn’t need much time to get in shape after unpacking and comes back to its shape over and over again.
You may easily mold the pillow according to your needs, for best comfort.
As for the cover, the pillow features a zippered slipcover that is woven from Outdoor treated polyester and presents U.V. protection (up to 1000 hours). The zipper on the slipcover makes it easy to remove for machine cleaning.
The armrests have a good design and take away some pressure from your shoulders and the weight of your arms as well.
The pillow comes in nice, pastel colored combinations and is a good option even when recovering after a surgery. It’s lightweight and easy to move around.
It’s made in our USA and this may seal the deal for many.
The things that impress us the most:
- The pillow comes in nice, fun color combinations
- It offers a soft, yet firm support for your head, neck and back
- It’s well filled
- The slipcover is zippered and machine washable
We do have some minor issues to mention:
- It doesn’t have a handle for easier transportation
- The armrests could be longer
We’d rather take the best from it and this gives us a pillow that is comfortable, supportive, fun looking and made here at home in our USA- and that does it for us.
13) The ergonomic design of the Hermell Products Deluxe Lounger is a good option to consider when you like reading in bed and you need more than a simple pillow for best comfort.
The lounge cushion has an ergonomic design and it’s comfortable and supportive. The design is well thought-out and the lounge cushion comes with a neck support that is height-adjustable. The engineered foam frame gives good, sturdy support, whereas the nicely padded back pillow soothes any back pains.
The armrests take away the weight of your arms and lower pressure in your shoulders. The armrests are well padded for more comfort.
The cover is made with long lasting twill and repels efficiently moisture. It’s made with 80% cotton and 20% polyester. It has a nice soft feel and comes in nice, soft colors.
The lounge cushion is made in our USA and it’s an option to have in mind.
Let’s go over the most important features again:
- The lounge cushion is made in our USA
- It’s supportive and comfortable
- The armrests are well cushioned
- The lounge cushion has an ergonomic design
We also need to mention the downsides, as we see them:
- The arms could have been placed higher
- It has no handle for easier transportation
Despite the minor cons, the lounge cushion is a fair option for reading in bed or watching some TV.
14) Describing the Husband Pillow – Dark Grey, Big Backrest Reading Bed Rest Pillow with Arms with only a couple of words is quite challenging as there are so many great things to present.
It’s an amazing backrest pillow that is sturdy and capable of offering backrest and support for the whole upper body. The support pillow is filled with high-quality shredded memory foam and hast a smooth microplush cover.
Not only that the pillow feels soft against the skin and it’s supportive for your back, but it also comes with removable neck roll pillow on Bungee. It also features built-in side and back pocket for storing your glasses, books, or anything you may need within reach while resting in bed.
The versatility continues with the adjustable loft, with a zipper on the inner shell allowing you to remove/add foam the way you want. You can also shift the foam in zones where you need better support. The built-in handle at the top makes the pillow easy to carry around too.
The covers are easy to remove and machine-washable as well. the pillow comes in 16 different colors, so you cannot complain about not finding one that matches your bedroom décor.
We’ve shortened the pros to the following:
- It’s big and works as full-formed backrest
- It supports the upper body and feels soft against the skin
- You may adjust the amount of foam
- It comes in 16 different colors
Don’t make a fuss out of the minor problems:
- It’s a bit hefty, so it’s not comfortable to carry around
- It has a smell out of the box
All in all, for the amazing build, level of support, customization and versatility, the pillow should be on your shopping list.
15) When you’re not the only one using a reading pillow, and want a pillow that provides support for you and your partner, the WOWMAX Triangular Wedge and Body Positioners Reading Pillow is the proper investment.
The pillow comes with a 100% velvet cover which feels incredibly soft against the skin. The triangular reading pillow ensures amazing neck and back support while you’re reading or watching TV in bed.
There are several sizes for the pillow to choose, according to your specific needs. Some like to use the pillow as a bumper pillow, and it can even work as headboard. It’s both decorative and functional, which turns it into a great addition for any bedroom.
Thanks to its shape, the pillow alleviates stress while reading and fits the waist perfectly, reducing lumbar pressure.
The buttons help with the shape, but also ensure effortless removal of the cover when necessary.
Here’s the short list of positive aspects:
- It’s highly versatile and works as headboard or bumper pillow
- It comes in various sizes
- It has buttons for better shaping and easy removal of cover
- It reduces lumber pressure and increases comfort when reading in bed
Don’t let the shortcomings stand in your way when shopping:
- It’s a tad hefty so carrying it around isn’t very easy for some
- Some think that it’s not true to colors
As the good outweigh the bad, you should definitely consider buying the pillow in order to complete your bed.
Frequently Asked Questions on Reading Pillows
Q: Why would anyone use a reading pillow?
A: A reading pillow is going to maintain your neck and spine in a healthy posture. No matter if you’re sitting, standing, or lying down, gravity puts pressure on your muscles and joints. The proper position will distribute the pressure evenly all over your body, reducing the risk for pain, strain, and other health problems. When you’re using a reading pillow, the issues connected from sitting up in bed for a long time. Good reading pillows support the spine, and adjust to your pressure points, alleviating strain on your neck, shoulders, and back.
Q: Does the material matter for a reading pillow?
A: Reading pillows are made of various materials, and each has its ups and downs. Some ensure a high level of firmness, whereas others are softer. It depends a lot on what you’re trying to achieve with your reading pillow, and materials can make the difference between good and lousy pillow for your needs.
Q: Should you get a reading pillow with memory foam?
A: The memory foam is a highly contouring and dense material that will soften to the pressure while heating the body. A reading pillow made with memory foam is typically made from just one piece of foam, which cradles the neck, head, and body while supporting a plush comfort and maintaining the shape for a long time.
Q: Is the shredded memory foam better?
A: A reading shredded memory foam pillow is filled with several tiny pieces of foam that move separately inside. Therefore, you can mold the shape according to your specific needs. A pillow of this sort will ensure a softer and more comfortable to mold support, without getting as hot as regular memory foam. You can find reading pillows with adjustable features so that you can add/remove the filling the way you need.
Q: Why would you buy a pillow with polyester/microfiber filling?
A: The microfiber/fiberfill is affordable and very common for many reading pillows out there. They don’t provide much support and don’t maintain the shape for a very long time either.
Q: Is faux suede the best outer material for the reading pillows?
A: The microfiber sued, aka faux-suede, is a synthetic fabric resembling the animal suede in terms of feel and appearance. It’s long-lasting and retains stains efficiently. A reading pillow with faux-suede outer is easy to clean, and you may wash it with other household products.
Q: What other materials are used for the cover?
A: velvet is shiny and plushy, giving a luxurious feel to any product, not just the reading pillows. Silk velvet is delicate, whereas the mohair and wool velvet are stain-resistant and long-lasting. You can also go with cotton velvet, but it crushes rather fast. Keep in mind that velvet may need professional cleaning.
Velour is also soft, but it’s less expensive than velvet and more comfortable to clean too. It’s great to have it when you’re using the reading pillow every single day and night. Don’t forget about corduroy, which is also soft and durable. It has a unique appearance, but some designs cam snag on claws and even unravel after some time.
Q: What is traditional in terms of reading pillows?
A: The „husband pillows” make the traditional reading pillows. They typically present high backrest and arms. They’re full, tall, and can support the whole upper body, including the neck, shoulders, head, spine, and arms. High-end models feature neck pillows that are easy to adjust and remove for better comfort. Don’t be surprised to find models that also have side pockets or cup holders.
Q: Do wedge pillows make the right choice as reading pillows?
A: Thanks to the sloping shape, the wedge pillows work for both reading and sleeping. When sleeping, wedge pillows alleviate symptoms such as back pain, acid reflux, and poor circulations. If you’re going to use the wedge pillow mostly for reading, look for one with high incline and has the right size for your body.
Q: Which features count the most when selecting your reading pillows?
A: Some features are necessary for reading pillows, whereas others only increase their value and your level of comfort. A top handle gives your pillow portability, whereas pockets are great for storing the small items you need within reach. Armrests always increase your support, and so does the headrest.
It’s also helpful to have an adjustable loft for the reading pillow and a cover easy to remove for machine washing.
Q: Do reading pillows come with a warranty?
A: Some vendors provide a trial period, so you should remember when you got the pillow. It’s also a good idea to check the warranty of the reading pillow, which says a lot about the confidence the manufacturer has in its products. You may not know when you need to use the warranty.