The United States has some of the most sleep-deprived individuals in the world. This is because many people lead a busy lifestyle and others living between shift. Most of these individuals depend on power naps to keep going through the day. While you shouldn’t substitute sleep with 20-minute naps, a short power nap can help improve performance, alertness, and mood at work. It would, however, be advisable to get adequate and quality sleep to enable the body to rest fully. Even the greatest minds and presidents in American history are known to take advantage of naps as well. These include Ronald Reagan, Napoleon, Winston Churchill, Albert Einstein, John F. Kennedy, George W. Bush, and Thomas Edison, among others.
The 3 Types of Naps
Commonly known as preparatory napping, planned napping is designed to help you push your circadian rhythm farther away from your regular sleep time. An individual will generally take a nap before he/she starts feeling sleeping. This is mostly recommended if looking/planning to work overtime or go to bed late. It also helps one stay alert through the shift.
As the name suggests, you can take an emergency nap if you suddenly feel tired and cannot go on working or engaging in an activity. A good example of this is if you were driving and suddenly feel tired or fatigued. Taking an emergency nap can help correct the issue.
This type of nap involves one making it a habit of taking a nap at a specific time of the day, every day. An adult may habitually nap after lunch, or even a young kid falls asleep at the same time in the afternoon.
Tips to A Great Nap
- 20-30-minute naps are recommended if looking for short-term alertness. This is mostly recommended if looking to improve your performance and alertness at work. Napping for less than 30 minutes won’t affect your nighttime sleep.
- You’ll need a serene environment to make napping possible. The room temperature needs to be just right, with the room itself quiet enough, with no disturbing or loud noises. Create just the right environment to get your power nap uninterrupted by other members of staff or children. If you are napping at home do it in bed, your comfortable sleeping environment will help you to fall asleep more quickly, take a look at these icomfort mattress reviews.
- Don’t take a nap too late in the day. Taking a nap later in the day, or towards the end of your work-shift can affect your ability to sleep at night. You also shouldn’t try to nap too early in the day, either. Most sleep experts recommend napping in the middle of the day.
Benefits of Napping
- A good nap can help enhance your performance and alertness, thus reducing the risk of making mistakes and accidents. According to research by NASA, a 40-minute nap can improve pilot/astronaut’s performance and alertness by 34% and 100% respectively.
- Individuals wake up more alert after taking a nap than they were before. This also extends several hours into the day.
- Scheduled napping is also recommended/prescribed to those suffering from narcolepsy.
- Naps have a pleasant, relaxing, and rejuvenating impact on our bodies and health. they are thus considered a mini-vacation and delightful luxury.
Importance of Napping:
Napping and sleeping is significant throughout everyday life. It is basic for an individual’s wellbeing and prosperity and can profit individuals all things considered. The measure of rest required fluctuates from various age gatherings. In the event that an individual routinely loses rest or decides to rest not exactly required, the rest misfortune includes. The aggregate sum of rest lost is known as an individual’s rest obligation. Taking a decent night sleep of night or a nap of daytime is significant on the grounds that it can assist an individual with a bizarre work routine.
Napping and its Physiological Benefits:
Napping plays a major role in an individual’s life. It effects on mental and physical activities of a person. If a person does not get enough sleep so he/she are not able to perform well in a normal physiological way. Following are the major physiological benefits of napping.
Memory and Learning:
Taking a good sleep in night or a nap in daytime is significant on the grounds that it can assist an individual with an irregular work routine. resting drives recollections out of the hippocampus where they are “delicate” and immediately overlooked; into the neocortex, along these lines restricting them from being “overwritten”.
Staying alert is a noteworthy determinant of one’s exhibition, and people that snooze show more prominent readiness and cautiousness. Arranged naps improve readiness and execution in crisis division doctors and medical attendants. Napping reestablishes consideration, diminish missteps and improves work quality among people. Furthermore, napping helps person’s ability to learn at work.
Lessen Risk of Heart Disease:
Studies absolutely demonstrate that napping can advance heart-related advantages, with examine communicating that a rest as meager as forty-five minutes can essentially bring down circulatory strain, diminishing odds of cardiovascular failure and stroke. People who napped two times every week, almost “thirty minutes daily had a 12% lower danger of passing on from a heart-related disease”. Resting three times each week, they found had a 37% decreased hazard.
State of mind:
Lack of rest has reliably been connected with awful temperaments. On the off chance that people have sentiments of touchiness, prickliness, or being an absolute groan, the best arrangement is frequently to ‘think about it’. Snoozing advances the arrival of serotonin, turning around these “impacts and making a progressively inspirational viewpoint”
Naps support sharpness and improve engine execution, which is the reason you feel stimulated in the wake of taking one. The length of your snooze decides the advantages. A 20-minute rest—called a phase two rest—is perfect to upgrade engine aptitudes and consideration, while an hour to an hour and a half of snoozing brings Rapid Eye Movement (REM) rest, which helps make new associations in the mind and can help in taking care of inventive issues. Set a caution to ensure you get the perfect measure of rest. (napping for a period of time somewhere in the range of 20 and an hour and a half may likewise help, however you’re probably going to feel sluggish a while later.)