Ignoring any small or significant plumbing issues at home is never good as you never know when it can turn into something serious, causing health and safety hazards. Similarly, if you suspect there is a leakage of gas in your home, don’t overlook it. Get in touch with a trusted plumbing services company in your area for inspection immediately. Meanwhile, be alert to any warning signs that you may encounter. Here are a few things that can tell you something is wrong with your gas pipe.
- If there is damaged gas pipe underground, the vegetation around that area will most likely be dead.
- A hissing sound in the gas line is another sign of leakage. However, if this sound is coming from your air conditioner or refrigerator, then disconnect them from the power supply and get it checked with a professional.
- Natural gas contains some amount of odorless and colorless gases, such as mercaptan, so that you can get its smell as soon as there is any leak. It can smell like rotten eggs, sulfur, etc.
In case you still get the smell but don’t feel sure whether it’s a leakage problem or not, consider trying one more technique. Take water in a container and add dish soap to it. Turn on the gas, and apply wet sponge on the area where you suspect damage. If there is any leakage, it will form small bubbles there.
Things to do in case of the gas leak
Excess leakage can cause fire, explosion, and carbon monoxide poisoning. Hence, it’s better to practice some immediate safety measures. Here are a few things that you can do to ensure everyone’s safety.
- Leave all windows and doors open and vacate the area.
- Don’t try to fix this issue yourself. Wait for the plumbers to come and do this for you.
- Stay away from electrical points, and any tools that can ignite the fire, such as matches, lighters, etc., to avoid the risk of explosion.
- If the gas was off already, don’t start it again. Let the plumbing professional arrive.
- Don’t turn on fans to dispel gas.
If you live in Corona or Riverside in California, you can consider getting in touch with Proline Plumbers. They provide a wide range of plumbing services to households. Or, you can also search for a certified local plumbing store in your area for assistance. Whoever you choose, make sure the person has good experience in plumbing and can deal with gas leakage problems also. Although you can discover some good options quickly through an online search, you can ask your family, friends, and neighbors for a reference. A trusted plumbing professional will inspect any issue deep down its root and provide the best solution. Also, they will not charge you hefty amounts based on the level of your urgency.
So, do you feel your gas is leaking? Don’t take any chance with yours and your family’s health. Even if it turns out to be a mere suspicion and nothing more, getting things checked on time is never wrong.