Laminate flooring is flooring that is made of pressed materials that look like wooden flooring or stone flooring. Lamination is a technique where multiple layers of material are pressed together to create a type of flooring that has strength and stability and provides insulation. This process of lamination is done using heat pressure, welding and strong adhesives.
Laminate flooring is made of melamine resin and fiber board materials. It is very popular for homes as they look good and are easy to install. Laminate flooring has many pros and cons and before using this type of flooring it is important to know all the pros and cons of laminate flooring.
Pros and Cons of Laminate Flooring
Pros of Laminate Flooring
- Most often there is a choice between vinyl flooring, hardwood flooring, and laminate flooring. The laminate flooring is more visually appealing and looks much better than vinyl flooring. Hardwood flooring generally has more defects in comparison to laminate flooring.
- The durability of laminate flooring is very high. This means that it resists wear and tear factors like stains, dents, scratches and is much better at durability than various other types of flooring. Besides being scratch resistant it even resists fading and so remains looking brand new for a very long time. Exposure to sunlight does not change or fade this type of flooring and as it does not stain, it is safe from different types of spillage.
- Laminate flooring looks exactly like wooden flooring and has a nice clean finish to it. As it looks exactly like wooden flooring, it is visually appealing and much easier to maintain than wood flooring.
- Laminate flooring is a very affordable option compared to luxury tiling options like marble, vinyl flooring, and hardwood or stone flooring. This type of flooring does not look cheap and yet does not cost too much. This means the laminate flooring provides expensive looking flooring at a cheap price. It is also more durable than other types of flooring, which means maintenance costs are low in comparison to other types of flooring.
- Cleaning laminate flooring is much easier than cleaning other types of flooring. This is because it is stain resistant and anything spilled on this type of flooring just wipes off very easily. Laminate flooring is a hygienic option as this type of flooring is easy to clean.
- The installation process of laminate floorings is very easy. It can be installed by the team from the seller or it can even be installed by home owners themselves if they follow simple instructions.
- This is a very versatile option and can be used for flooring in homes, country clubs, offices and various other real estate categories. It is a flooring option that is soft and warm so it is better for the feet than other types of flooring like stone, marble, concrete and ceramic tiles.
Cons of Laminate Flooring
- Elegance is an important factor in selecting a type of flooring. Elegant flooring makes the entire look of an establishment and there are some types of flooring that look very elegant. Sadly, laminated flooring does not look as elegant as some other options like authentic hardwood flooring or ceramic tiles for flooring.
- Moisture damage is a huge problem for laminate floors. Laminate flooring is very susceptible to moisture damage. There is a chance of staining with standing water and if it is exposed to standing water for long, the water will enter the laminate flooring and break it down. In this case, the entire flooring will have to be changed.
- This is a type of flooring that cannot be refinished as compared to hardwood flooring and is very hard to repair. This means that damaged laminate flooring will most often have to be completely replaced and cannot be simply repaired.
- As it cannot be repaired easily and sometimes the cheaper grade of laminated flooring needs to be replaced in a few years, the return on investment is very low for such type of flooring.
- Sometimes this type of flooring is not such a good choice for a décor as compared to carpet or other types of flooring. Carpet flooring is increasingly becoming more and more popular in comparison to laminate flooring.
Laminate flooring has been used for decades and was first developed and used in the 1970s. Laminate flooring is a versatile and affordable flooring option. While buying laminate flooring, it is important to buy high grade laminate flooring. All types of laminate flooring are very affordable but high-grade laminate flooring last longer and is more durable as compared to a cheaper option. So it is more cost effective in the long run. This type of flooring has many pros and cons and it is important to know them before buying laminate flooring.