It is important to ensure that your house is well taken care of at all times of the year. You need to make sure that your basement is properly guarded against all harsh weather conditions that can easily compromise its structural integrity. As we all know, the basement is one of the most important parts of the house that can be used as a storage area or playroom if you have kids. Some people even use their basement as a home gym. Therefore, you need to ensure that this place is not wet and that any form of moisture is quickly dealt with before it compromises the safety of the whole house. For this reason, you need to always consult with a basement waterproofing New Jersey expert to check the status of the basement and make any adjustments where necessary.
Here are the top 3 reasons to prevent water damage in your basement:
A dry basement protects your home
One of the good things with a dry basement is that it ensures the whole house is protected. Water and home will seldom mix, due to the damages that water brings to the house. A wet basement will not be good for the general structural strength of your house. As such, a basement has to be waterproof so that water cannot seep into the house and make walls to rot. Your foundation may look strong but if water were to damage it, then the whole house will be in danger. The basement can easily crack if it is wet for a long time. When the foundation is wet and the problem is not rectified early enough, the walls will likely collapse and the water will wear out the cement and the plaster in the foundation. Therefore, any time you notice that your foundation is wet, the right thing for you to do is call a waterproofing company to deal with the issue as quickly as possible.
It can cause electrical damage
As we all know, water and electricity can never mix, meaning that the basement should always be dry. The fact that the basement is the lower part of the house means that most of the times, it comes into contact with water. If there are electrical fittings or sockets in the basement, then these have to be protected and made waterproof. If you have any electrical appliances on the basement, then these should be kept away from water. An electrical source on the basement can be a disaster waiting to occur. As such, water should never be let into the basement as the electrical fittings could easily cause short-circuiting, and consequently, an electrical fire could result.
It can encourage the growth of molds
Water damage will also bring about the growth of molds in your basement. Mold is toxic and thrives mostly in wet environments. Molds will bring about mildew and bacteria, and these are going to cause respiratory problems to your family. The mold may be very hard to get rid of. As such, the best way to sort out this problem is to be proactive and prevent water from reaching your basement.