What is ultrasonic cleaning?
Ultrasonic cleaning uses ultrasounds (typically in the range from 20 to 400kHz) and a proper cleaning solvent to clean items. Sometimes ordinary tap water is enough, but a proper solvent for a specific item enhances the effect.
This kind of cleaning takes three to six minutes on average, but sometimes it may take over 20 minutes, depending on the item you’re cleaning and its condition.
What items can you use ultrasonic cleaning on?
An ultrasonic cleaner is efficient on many kinds of objects, going from jewelry and lenses, to dental and surgical instruments. You may also use them to clean tools, coins, fountain pens, fishing reels, window blinds, car fuel injectors and carburetors.
Various industrial parts, electronic equipment, firearms may benefit from ultrasonic cleaning just as well. This is why you find ultrasonic cleaners in many electronic repair shops, jewelry shops, watchmaker’s shops.
Ultrasonic cleaners aren’t to be found in shops only – these days you can get cleaners for home use as well.
For instance, a cleaner like the GOWE 1400ML White Plastic Mini Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner for Home-use features an isolated-circuit design and a large digital timer display for accurate cleaning time control, which makes it really easy to use.
This cleaner has a wide diameter transducer for best cleaning results and keep in mind to keep water away from it for extra safety. It may be used to clean jewelry, watches, coins, watch straps and bands, and eye care accessories. This is efficient for contact lens accessories, sunglasses, and eyeglasses. Your combs, toothbrushes, tableware and dentures may get the perfect cleaning with this ultrasonic cleaner.
Ultrasonic cleaning is suitable for the hardest, non-absorbent materials as they are not attacked by the cleaning fluids. This is why small electronic parts, cables, wires, detailed items, along with glass, plastic, ceramic or metallic items and jewelry get cleaned well with ultrasonic cleaners.
The good and the bad of ultrasonic cleaning
Ultrasonic cleaning doesn’t sterilize objects, as viruses and spores remain on them after the cleaning. For medical tools, ultrasonic cleaning is followed by sterilization, a totally separate phase.
Of course, we can talk about industrial ultrasonic cleaners that are used in sporting, printing, marine, electroplating, disk drive components industries. This type of ultrasonic cleaners is often found in the pharmaceutical, engineering, or automotive industries.
As ultrasonic cleaning removes flux residue from soldered circuit boards, some electronic components may get damaged or even destroyed by the high intensity vibrations during the cleaning. It’s the case of microphones, gyroscopes, accelerometers that should not be cleaned with ultrasonic cleaners.
- Top 5 Ultrasonic Cleaners for Jewelry Reviews
- 1. VEVOR Ultrasonic Cleaner 1.3L Ultrasonic Parts Cleaner Professional Stainless Steel
- 2. Jakan 1.3L Ultrasonic Ring Cleaner with Cleaning Basket for Diamond
- 3. BestFire® VGT – 2000 35W 600mL Professional Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner
- 4. Magnasonic Professional Ultrasonic Polishing Jewelry Cleaner with Digital Timer for Eyeglasses, Rings, Coins
- 5. SUNCOO 6L Ultrasonic Cleaner, Jewelry Cleaner
- Best ultrasonic cleaner for Dentures
- Best ultrasonic cleaner for Coins
- Best ultrasonic cleaner for Cellphones
- Best ultrasonic cleaner for Electronics
- Best ultrasonic cleaner for Sunglasses and Eyeglasses
- Best ultrasonic cleaner for Fountain Pens
- Best ultrasonic cleaner for Making Liposomal C
- Best ultrasonic cleaner for Nail Implements and Tools
- Best ultrasonic cleaner for Vinyl Records
- Best ultrasonic cleaner for Watches
- Frequently Asked Questions About Ultrasonic Cleaners
- Q: Is the size of the parts you’re cleaning necessary when selecting the ultrasonic cleaner?
- Q: Why do you use the ultrasonic cleaner?
- Q: Should you worry about not using the proper basket/racks?
- Q: Is the heat necessary?
- Q: What’s the connection between ultrasonic frequency and power?
- Q: Is the parts basket needed?
- Q: Should you get a cleaner with adjustable power?
- Q: Why is the timer a necessary feature?
- Q: Are ultrasonic cleaners with digital display more comfortable o use?
- Q: Which cleaning solution should you use?
- Q: Are you cleaning food items?
Top 5 Ultrasonic Cleaners for Jewelry Reviews
1. VEVOR Ultrasonic Cleaner 1.3L Ultrasonic Parts Cleaner Professional Stainless Steel
Don’t let the price of VEVOR Ultrasonic Parts Cleaner mislead you, as the ultrasonic cleaner is loaded with positive things. Here’s what we like the most about it:
- It has 50w heating power and adjustable temperature from 0 to 176F degrees
- You can also set the time from 1 to 30 minutes
- It’s made of stainless steel which is resistant to rust and corrosion
- It’s sturdy and doesn’t leak, so servicing isn’t going to be needed for a long time
- It features a large digital timer and temperature display for accurate wash time and temperature control
- It’s easy to operate the cleaner
- It features a 40kHz powerful transducer which generates millions of microscopic cleansing foams for removing dirt from crevices and surfaces
- You can use it for cleaning oil, dirt, and bacteria off your jewelry. You can use it also for glasses, dental equipment, and electronic tools.
- It has a stainless steel lid with handle and non-slip rubber foot pads for better stability
- It’s ready to use right out of the box
The shortcomings aren’t significant:
- The quality control could be improved
- It doesn’t heat very fast
- It’s not very quiet
Regardless of the minor issues, the ultrasonic cleaner is a reliable model to use for making your jewelry pristine clean.
===> See the Pricing and Reviews on Amazon.
2. Jakan 1.3L Ultrasonic Ring Cleaner with Cleaning Basket for Diamond
When you care deeply for your diamond rings and you want to take good care of them, the Jakan Ultrasonic Ring Cleaner for Diamond is an efficient ultrasonic cleaner.
Here are the pros that recommend this cleaner:
- There are multiple time setting options
- You can choose from 0 to 30 minutes’ set
- There is also a temperature setting, going from 20 to 80 temperature
- This cleans up thoroughly and deeply to the surface
- You may only use tap water for general cleaning
- You may add 5-10 Ml of detergent into water to increase cleaning results
- There is a stainless steel cleaning basket for cleaning the small items which means less friction between the items and the tank
- This uses 40Khz frequency
- There is a 1year warranty
- The cleaner has an isolated-circuit design
- You need to keep water away for a safer use
- There is a wide-diameter transducer
- There is high quality steel used on body, cover and base
- There is digital LCD display and live temperature display
- This is easy to operate
- The basket and the tray are anti-noisy
- This is pretty quiet
- Your diamonds are safe with this
- This serves also medical and dental clinics, tattoo shops, scientific labs, golf clubs, opticians, watchmakers, jewelers, antique dealers etc.
We can only think of one thing that we like the least, which is the price. But, when you own a diamond ring and want to keep it in good shape, this is not an issue for sure… 🙂
===> See the Pricing and Reviews on Amazon.
3. BestFire® VGT – 2000 35W 600mL Professional Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner
In case you use an airbrush regularly, be it for makeup or cake decorating or any other use, you need to give it a deep cleaning once in a while. The BestFire® VGT Professional Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner obtains a thorough cleaning, and here are the features that we’ve counted as pros:
- This gives a fast, efficient and consistent cleaning with the push of a button
- This cleaner addresses to the items complicated in shape, as air brushes
- You may also use this for dental and medical, watch parts, technical pens, small metal parts, coins, false teeth
- There is a 600ml Stainless steel tank
- The cleaner features a plastic lift out tray
- There is a digital display 3 digit LED
- The on/off touch switch is efficient
- There is a micro programmed 3 minutes’ default time
- The programmable timer lets you set it up from 1 to 60 minutes
- There is a hinged see through dust cover lid and button catch
- The machine has a specific, low noise
- This uses 42KHz frequency
- Don’t use this with solvents because of fumes
- This works typically with tap water
- It’s easy to use this cleaner
- Do not put mobile phone or watch into the tank as they are not waterproof
- Do not put anything like spectacle frames or art ware which is made of seashells into the tank
- This is great also for razors
Here are the parts that we like less and count as cons:
- When your items have some smudges, this cleaner is not very efficient
- There is a specific noise, which is not loud though
- The body is made of stainless steel, but the exterior is made of plastic which makes it cheap looking
Other than these cons, we have no more complaints. The price is good and the quality is more than you’d expect for this kind of money.
===> See the Pricing and Reviews on Amazon.
4. Magnasonic Professional Ultrasonic Polishing Jewelry Cleaner with Digital Timer for Eyeglasses, Rings, Coins
Even though the following may be not the best ultrasonic cleaner ever, it’s probably one of the most popular one. We’re talking about the Magnasonic Professional Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner. It’s definitely popular because of its price, and we can only recommend it for a limited amount of usage.
Here are the pros that make it a good choice:
- This is a very large ultrasonic cleaner
- It cleans dirty jewelry, watches, utensils in minutes
- You only have to use tap water with this cleaner
- It has the perfect size for your sunglasses
- It generates 42,000HZ ultrasonic sound waves
- The cleaner is quiet and efficient
- This goes gentle on your precious items
- There is a digital display with 5 preset cleaning cycles: 90, 180, 280, 380, 480 seconds
- There is an auto shut off
- There is 20 oz. (60mL) capacity on this
- The cleaner is easy to use
- It’s easy to remove your items from the basket
- The cleaner is compact and it’s easy to find it a place to store
- The cleaner works well and is easy to operate
And now come the parts that we don’t like that much. The cons:
- Water condenses naturally on the inside of the window door. When you open the door, the condensation gets over the back of the machine. This may be solved with a better design
- Some complained about the cleaner giving up after several uses
- The reservoir is not removable
- The timer is not the best quality out there
- The clean power is not very strong
So, in the end, we’ve come to the conclusion that this is a large, pretty efficient ultrasonic cleaner that does a good job on the not so dirty items. Just don’t use it daily as it might break long before you anticipated.
===> See the Pricing and Reviews on Amazon.
5. SUNCOO 6L Ultrasonic Cleaner, Jewelry Cleaner
When you’re determined to spend the extra buck and get an ultrasonic cleaner that doesn’t disappoint, the SUNCOO 6L Ultrasonic Cleaner, Jewelry Cleaner is your best choice.
We like many things about this cleaner, so here’s our take on the pros:
- It comes with industrial-grade 60W ultrasonic transducer cleaning your valuable and tiny items
- It features a stainless steel valve and stainless steel basket with rubber-coated handle for more comfortable use
- It presents a heat dissipation design and rubber feet, preventing sliding.
- The handles are heat-proof, and the stainless steel lid has round corners
- It’s made with very thick 304 and 316 stainless steel that doesn’t rust and manages different types of solutions. It’s also corrosion resistant and doesn’t leak
- It features a filter which reduces the risk of items getting stuck in the water outlet
- It comes with manual control knobs for a longer lifespan and better adjustments. You can set the temperature from 68 to 176 F degrees, and the time from 1 to 20 minutes.
- Thanks to the rubber-coated handles, it doesn’t make much noise
- It includes heat emission holes for dissipating heat
- It’s possible to use the heater without turning on the ultrasonic portion.
- It’s highly versatile, and you can use it for cleaning jewelry, musical instruments, firearms, fishing reels, golf clubs, and so on.
Far from being deal breakers, the downsides should be mentioned too:
- It’s not very cheap
- It comes with analog dials, which may seem a disadvantage for some
All in all, the ultrasonic cleaner is one significant investment to make, especially if cleaning jewelry and small items is a big part of your job.
===> See the Pricing and Reviews on Amazon.
Best ultrasonic cleaner for Dentures
Affordable, yet reliable and efficient, the ONEZILI Professional Digital Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner Wave Smart Ultrasonic Cleaners 800ML Machine for Cleaning Dental is a good buy on any given day.
Let’s take a closer look at the best aspects:
- It’s a professional digital ultrasonic cleaner to use for dental, jewelry, rings, necklaces, eyeglasses, and so on
- It ensures efficient, professional-grade cleaning system for removing oil, dirt, and grime from your dentures, jewelry, watches, coins, and many more, without damaging them in any way
- It features a digital timer display, and you may select the right duration from 18 options
- It’s made with 394 stainless steel for a longer lifespan and has a dissipating heat design
- It presents a portable design and a cleaning lid
- You can also use it for cleaning gun components
- It has a solid construction, and it’s easy to use
- It includes a tray for straightforward cleaning
We’re not concern about the inherent flaws:
- Some doubt its durability
- You cannot use it without setting the timer, which is a downside for some
However, the ultrasonic cleaner makes a dependable choice for cleaning your dentures, among many other small items.
Best ultrasonic cleaner for Coins
Your coins are about to get sparkling clean thanks to the Magnasonic Generic Sonic Wave CD-2800 Ultrasonic Cleaner.
This is a powerful, yet quiet and gentle, ultrasonic cleaner that is able to remove dirt, dust, and grime from your coins. It has a 20 oz. /600ml stainless steel tank that fits coins but also bigger items that you may submerge for a good cleaning. You can use only tap water, but don’t hesitate to add detergent for better results. This is not a highly professional cleaner and its use should be limited to home use.
Best ultrasonic cleaner for Cellphones
Designed for cleaning jewelry, diamonds, gold, platinum, but also parts of your cell phone, the Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner for Diamonds, Rings, Necklaces, Watches isn’t going to disappoint in terms of performance.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- It comes with a basket and watches holder
- The tank is made with stainless steel, and the built-in cooling fan reduces the risk of overheating, expanding the lifespan
- It has touch controls for straightforward use
- The internal electronics are water-proofed for better performance. You can use it at 110V.
- The 42,000Hz of ultrasonic waves will remove the dirt and grime away from your items.
- It features a removable and non-hinged lid. The power cord is natural to detach also so that cleaning and filling are effortless.
- You can choose one of the five preset settings, and check the time on the digital display.
- It features an auto shut off function, so you don’t need to be close to it when it’s done
- Make sure how much water you use, as the too high or too low water level can alter the performance
- Don’t use hot water and don’t use it for more than 30 minutes without cooling it down
- It’s compact and user-friendly
- It’s excellent value for the money
The inherent issues don’t make us change our mind:
- It has decimal seconds, which confuses some customers
- It’s not as big as expected
Nevertheless, the ultrasonic cleaner makes an excellent investment to have around the house.
Best ultrasonic cleaner for Electronics
Anyone interested in a commercial-grade ultrasonic cleaner for electronics should take a look at the Kendal Commercial Grade 220 Watts 3 Liters Ultrasonic Cleaner HB-23MHT. The ultrasonic is loaded with qualities, and we’ve shortened the positives to the following:
- It’s made with two robust transducers
- It’s reliable for removing accumulated grime and dirt from electronic parts, mouth guards, necklaces, rings, and so on
- The 100watts heater produces the proper temperature rather fast. You can choose the temperature setting from 20 to 80 C degrees.
- It’s also possible to set the time from 0 to 20 minutes
- It has an all stainless build, and it’s resistant to corrosion. It can work in various environments
- It features dependable mechanical control for adjusting the temperature and time.
- It’s very well made and has a long-lasting build
- The design recommends it for the industrial environment too
- It comes with automatic shut-off feature, and it turns off on its own after two hours of continuous use
It’s fair to present the parts we like less, even though they’re not major:
- It’s rather noisy
- It doesn’t include fine mesh for cleaning the delicate and small items
All things considered, the ultrasonic cleaner is one efficient option to keep in mind for cleaning your electronics and such.
Best ultrasonic cleaner for Sunglasses and Eyeglasses
For a good, efficient cleaning of all your eyeglasses you can get the iSonic D2840 Ultrasonic Cleaner with Extra Wide and Deep Tank for Fashion Sunglasses.
This comes with a wider, deeper stainless steel tank in order to fit your big sunglasses, for instance. There is a digital timer, with blue LED light and you may choose from 5 time settings when cleaning. The cleaner comes with a plastic basket and a watch stand. It comes also with a sample iSonic jewelry/ eye wear cleaning solution for you to try. The cleaner comes at a good price and it’s got good looks with its polished stainless steel tank.
Best ultrasonic cleaner for Fountain Pens
Fountain pen fans can get their hands on the iSonic® Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner Model D3800A that will give them a thorough cleaning for their pens whenever they need it.
The stainless steel tank with 600ml liquid capacity fits many items, from fountain pens to jewelry, eyeglasses and dental items. You can choose from 5 preset digital cleaning cycles, and it’s safe to use with the delicate items. There is an auto shut-off function, and an automatic 3-minute cleaning cycle for ease of use. The waterproof container design and the digital timer make this a good choice, even though some may complain about the non-removable tank and its small size.
Best ultrasonic cleaner for Making Liposomal C
A good ultrasonic cleaner for preparing liposomal Vitamin C is the iSonic P4810 Commercial Ultrasonic Cleaner.
This has an industrial grade ultrasonic stack transducer, strong and long lasting and you can choose time frames from 1 to 30 minutes to clean your items. The stainless steel tank is efficient and versatile as you may mix all kinds of items when cleaning. The tank is easy to clean and the cleaner is compact for easier storage. The heater runs independently from cleaning and is preset to 140F/160F. There is a cooling fan that lets you use this cleaner for a longer time. The overheat protection feature won’t let you overuse it. This is a quiet cleaner when running, but it comes with no user manual and has a plastic basket that is not resistant to hot water.
Best ultrasonic cleaner for Nail Implements and Tools
No matter if you want this for your nail salon or for your home, you need a good ultrasonic cleaner for your nail implements and tools.
The Sparkle Bright VGT-2000 Digital Programmable Ultrasonic Cleaning Machine does a good job with your implements and tools and it may be used to clean other items as well: jewelry, waterproof watches, dentures, retainers, dental instruments, contact lenses and so on. You may easily remove dirt, smudges, dust from your items, but not tarnish. In order to get the best results, the manufacturer recommends the use of the Sparkle Bright Products Liquid Cleaner. As a last note, prepare yourself to get used to the buzzing noise of the cleaner…
Best ultrasonic cleaner for Vinyl Records
For the vinyl records aficionado, using an ultrasonic cleaner is more than necessary. More often than not, they’re willing to pay an essential amount of money for keeping their vinyl records in good shape. Therefore, the price TQ iNLovEARts Ultrasonic Cleaner with Vinyl Record Deep Cleaning Washing Machine will not throw off the true vinyl records lovers.
For the money you’re paying, you should expect a long list of qualities and the ultrasonic cleaner doesn’t disappoint:
- It’s a carburetor cleaner featuring a particular lifting bracket
- You can use it for cleaning 1-8 vinyl records simultaneously
- The 40kHz transducer strengthens the cleaner which has a 300W heating power
- You may easily control the time thanks to the digital controls. The LED display is effortless to read and to adjust from 1 to 30 minutes, according to your cleaning requirements
- The cleaning temperature can also be set from 20 to 80 C degrees
- It’s versatile and efficient for cleaning all kinds of objects, lenses, jewelry, optical parts, industrial parts, tools, coins, and electronic equipment
- It comes with a cleaning bracket and a lifting bracket as well.
- The included sponge is safe to use for wiping your records
- It also provides power adaptor
- The instruction that comes along is easy to follow and comprehend
When it comes to downsides, the price is the most significant to name. however, considering the value of your vinyl records, we’d say that the cleaner is worth every single penny.
Best ultrasonic cleaner for Watches
You don’t need to be a timepiece fan to know that taking good care of your watches will expand their lifespan. The Coil Master Ultrasonic Cleaner 100% Authentic for Jewelry/Glasses / Metal Parts is one model to have around the house, as it’s efficient for cleaning your timepieces and jewelry as well.
For a better understanding of its value, let’s take a second look at the main positive aspects:
- It’s a reliable cleaner that cleanses watches, screws, tips, glasses, necklaces, rings, and so on
- It can hold up to 600ml of water
- It’s going to remove dust, dirt, and grime friendly and easy
- It has a classic design and a compact shape, with a rather small footprint
- It’s made with PCB which presents resistance to moisture and corrosion so that it takes the use for a longer time
- It includes a plastic basket for protecting your small and delicate items
- It’s reliable and easy to use
The downsides shouldn’t become deal breakers:
- It can get hot after some time
- It doesn’t come with adjustable time setting
Casting thoughts aside, the ultrasonic cleaner makes one right choice to use for cleaning your watches.
Frequently Asked Questions About Ultrasonic Cleaners
Q: Is the size of the parts you’re cleaning necessary when selecting the ultrasonic cleaner?
A: It makes perfect sense that you think about the essential item or part that you’ll clean on a regular basis with the machine. Take the precise measurements of your item when you’re selecting the tank.
Q: Why do you use the ultrasonic cleaner?
A: What you’re aiming to achieve with cleaning is fundamental for anyone working in rebuilding, manufacturing, restoration, or the medical field. Keep in mind that ultrasonic cleaning is the most efficient method of cleaning known today. It’s used for all kinds of applications, especially since ultrasonic cleaning takes less time than hand cleaning methods.
Q: Should you worry about not using the proper basket/racks?
A: Anything that you’re planning to clean with your ultrasonic cleaner shouldn’t touch the ultrasonic transducer placed inside the tank. You need to choose the parts baskets according to your particular cleaning application. Should any parts or baskets contact, the ultrasonic transducer pack will damage the surface of the box, scratching or etching it. The bags are made with stainless steel, but once etching develops, erosion will occur too. It’s only a matter of time until it will damage the transducer pack for good.
Q: Is the heat necessary?
A: Ultrasonic cleaners will generate heat throughout their process. The friction of the cavitation created with the cleaning tank will make the heat rise. Heaters have to get the cleaning solution to the necessary starting temperatures and are also fundamental for cleaning contaminants such as grease and carbon oil. The high temperatures will break down the pollutants, easing out the cleaning process.
Q: What’s the connection between ultrasonic frequency and power?
A: The majority of ultrasonic cleaners operate between 28 and 120kHz. A low frequency will generate large cavitation bubbles for more abrasive cleaning. When you need to get rid of lapping compounds for long-lasting metal surfaces, low rates are a better choice.
For fragile items such as jewelry, you need a higher frequency for cleaning. 38 to 40kHz are frequencies used the most for both industrial and commercial cleaning jobs.
Q: Is the parts basket needed?
A: The parts basket has two leading roles. On the one hand, it keeps the parts up off the bottom of the tank, so that it reduces the risk of inhibition of ultrasonic transmission while protecting the transducers. On the other hand, it lets you remove the parts from the tank effortlessly.
Many manufacturers provide all kinds of accessories to use with the ultrasonic cleaner. Perforated steel trays, mesh baskets, solid trays, beakers covers, or support racks are some of the many accessories to use with the ultrasonic cleaner.
Q: Should you get a cleaner with adjustable power?
A: When you’re selecting your ultrasonic cleaner, you should get one that comes with an adjustable power feature. This way, you will be able to use the machine for various types of surfaces and items. You can set the temperature according to the things you’re cleaning at some point, from jewelry to more sensitive elements such as electronic components.
Q: Why is the timer a necessary feature?
A: Many ultrasonic cleaners come with timers so that you don’t sit next to them throughout the process. Moreover, they also include automatic shut-off function so that they turn off independently once they’re done.
Q: Are ultrasonic cleaners with digital display more comfortable o use?
A: Ultrasonic cleaners with digital displays are more user-friendly and more comfortable to comprehend. Many customers go for the models with a digital display, which eases out the operation.
Q: Which cleaning solution should you use?
A: it’s common for customers to skip the aspect of the cleaning solution used together with the ultrasonic cleaning machine. The properties of the fluid you’re using should never be omitted. The majority of cleaners are water-based, but other options ensure a fact cleaning.
Either way, you need to select a solution that doesn’t present too high or too low surface tension. It should remove the dirt and keep it in also. The fluid has to be safe for use. Remember to stay away from the solutions that are too acidic or too alkaline.
Also remember that the cleaning solutions have to mix with water fine and degas fast, with no more than 3 to 4 seconds for degassing.
Q: Are you cleaning food items?
A: When you’re using the ultrasonic cleaner for food items, you should use water for cleaning. Keep in mind that you need to go with a rust inhibitor that reduces the risk of rusting on objects after cleaning.
Check the user manual of your ultrasonic cleaning machine to see the best cleaning solution to use.